What to do with your dusty old mags - DIY

2:14 PM


Racks on racks on racks ;(

     Whether they were stolen from a doctor's office, "ended up" in your bag after leaving a friend's house, or were addressed to you and put into your mailbox, I'm pretty sure you have a stack of magazines somewhere in your house collecting dust.

     I personally cannot bring myself throw mine away. Besides the fact [some of them] had cost me money, it would be a huge waste if I did. I still have CosmoGirl! magazines from 2006! Granted, they were a gift, but still, it's awesome! I mean, Ashlee Simpson and Sophia Bush are on the cover, for crying out loud! It's like a little piece of history, but, current... if that makes any sense. I guess it would be easier to say that one day (or, next month), it will be history. 

     It's spring cleaning time, folks, and I'm here to help you rid your shelves of obsolete periodicals, all the while hooking up some items you probably already have (notebooks, a lap-desk... got a blank wall?).


Let's go collage crazy!

Estimated Time: Depends on how big your rack is... your mag rack of course!

Materials: 

  •      Scissors
  •      Tape
  •      Any surface you would like to decorate - be it a lap-desk, an old candle jar, a shoe box...
  •      An assistant (optional)


It's hard to get good help these days. 




Yay, stuff!




     Starting with larger pictures, start configuring how you would like your collage to look. This is my favorite part, it's like an escape for me.














          Close empty spaces by pushing pieces together.
          It's like a puzzle, but cooler!                                                                                                     






 Using minimal tape is also great for when you want to remove something,
because you wont accidentally rip everything.

     Finish by taping down the corners and edges of everything. Or, if you have patience and a steady hand, you could stretch tape over the whole surface in lines, so it looks laminated. This method is frustrating, but your collages will definitely last longer.

STELLAR!


You're done, but don't stop there! Here are some ideas to take it further:




     


A poster to sit over my desk, the wall in my room, and my school books.


Thank You For Loving Your Mother
Thank You For Doing It Yourself
-coopie

You Might Also Like

2 comments