Governors Ball Day 1

4:54 PM

     I woke up at 6 o'clock in the morning on Friday, June 7, and it was raining. It rained all damn day, actually. But, I wasn't going to let a little torrential downpour get in the way of what was supposed to be day one of the three most epic days of my summer: The Governors Ball.

    Getting to Randall's Island was a mission all on its own. Public transit isn't hard to figure out in Fort Lauderdale, so I thought I had this shit in the bag. Ha, ha, ha, no. I took the subway in the wrong direction and ended up in Chinatown and Lower East. As much as I would have liked to eat some authentic Asian food and kick it with some LES artistes, I had a destination to get to, beer to drink, and bands to vibe to.
     By the time I got there, soaked in rainwater, it was already 5 o'clock. I speed walked up to the gates with Crystal Castles' Vanished as my background music. I didn't watch the performance (I needed to find the beer asap), but everywhere I went, Alice Glass' voice traveled. Fuck yeah.
     Next up was for me was Young, the Giant. The guys played an amazing set, and even gave us a taste of a few unreleased tracks. As their set was coming to a close, and the rain fell harder, the familiar sound of My Body's guitars and drums filled my ear-space. With that as their closer, me and pretty much everyone else had no choice but to put down our umbrellas, splash around in the rain, and scream the lyrics as loud as we could.
     From the Honda Stage, I migrated over to the 'You're Doing Great' stage, along with my new friend, John. There, we waited patiently in rain for Beach House's 8 o'clock set. In the extra thirty minutes that we waited for them, I met a bunch of people (mostly from asking around for a lighter to doctor my soaked blunt #RIP). Finally, Victoria and Alex came out, and put us in a daze. The performance was short, but much appreciated. Gahdammit I felt good, and not because I working on my 6th beer.
     Beach House (and Miller Lite) put me in the perfect mood to go see Pretty Lights, but they, along with Kings of Leon, were cancelled due to the weather! So, from there, I took my happy ass to the 212 and danced my ass off in a Hispanic club. No fucks.


Some of my daily/festival essentials -
MAC SPF Primer, EOS lip balm, and body spray.

My cousin (left) and I on the train to Grand Central.
She made sure I got to Randall's okay and dipped!

(That's an Altoid on my tongue, BTW.)

Leopard TOKYO snapback and blonde plats -
couldn't take to many style pics, everyone was in ponchos!

My Docs upon arrival at Randall's.

Crystal Castles performing at the Skyy Vodka tent.

Gloomy skies and a sea of poncho heads at Young, the Giant.

Extremely clever guy who put his phone in a zip-lock bag.    
#turntup.
Annnnd turned down.

You Might Also Like

0 comments